Data accidents can happen to any business, small or big. On average, 130 security breaches occur every year. In 2021, the top five cyber crimes included extortion, identity theft, personal data breach, non-payment, and phishing.
Luckily, there are ways to soften the blow, if not save you entirely from these cyber attacks. Usually, this involves building a foolproof data backup strategy. If you maintain backup practices and record-keeping, you can be ready for any unforeseen disaster.
So, how can you create a foolproof backup and data recovery system? Read below to find the answer.
Steps to Build a Data Backup & Recovery System
The first step that a data recovery system does when it gets a file is to analyze the information in it. The next one is a software scan for additional information about the folders. It is possible to make an entire folder structure recovery but only if the system is not severely damaged.
Here are the simple steps you need to follow to develop a sound file recovery system:
- Step 1: What does your company need from the backup? Do you need a lot of storage for all your files, or do you want to back up only the essentials?
- Step 2: What are your options? Will you use cloud storage, an external one, or maybe a hybrid?
- Step 3: How much can you spend?
- Step 4: Choose a platform and a supplier.
- Step 5: Make your own backup timeframe with a recovery plan.
Tips for Developing Data Backup
A backup system can help, and there are ways you can boost it. Here are some tips on how to do that:
- Make physical copies of your data – These are easy to keep safe. You can preserve them by printing and securing them in a locked safe, so you do not have to worry about intrusions or digital threats.
- Subscribe to a backup service – Another way to store sensitive data is to find a service that automatically uploads digital versions of your files to online servers. These services require a monthly subscription fee.
- Use cloud storage – A cloud service, such as Google Drive or Dropbox, is one of the most popular and best ways to back up your data.
- Transfer to external drives – Another way to build a dependable backup system is to use USB sticks, CD drives, or external hard drives. These are primarily used for a small volume of data, but some can go up to 5TB.
Must-Haves in Your Backup Strategy
When you’re building your business’ backup strategy, the pieces of data that are considered the most essential are:
- Financial data – You should back it up daily or hourly since you expect to do transactions continuously.
- Personnel records – This sensitive data must always be available and secured well. All of them must be backed up regularly, preferably daily.
- Administration documentation – Since they affect your business considerably, these documents should be protected. Keep them safe by backing them up and making on-site and off-site copies.
No company should ever underestimate the presence of cybersecurity threats. Fortuna BMC has constructive security solutions for your company. We can help you with resource planning and project management and advise you on your IT development.
Contact us, and let’s discuss how we can help!